Boys basketball overpowers San Fernando in 43-32 win

JALYN BAUTISTA
Point guard Abraham Ceja (#5) attempts to make a layup under pressure from his San Fernando opponent. The Wolves won the Jan. 17 home match 43-32.

The bottom line | The boys basketball team clawed out a victory at home against the San Fernando Tigers, currently ahead of them in the league, with a final score of 43-32.

Highlights

• Guards Jeremy Rivas (#1) and Jonco Holgado (#2) were able to set up offensive plays for the Wolves, occasionally blowing by their defenders for easy layups.
  • Forward O’shan Williams (#25) and center Jonathan Pritchett (#12) greatly contributed on the rebounds, successfully boxing out their opponents multiple times to get multiple open layups and putbacks. 
  • Cliff Magee (#22), Earl Gervacio (#30) and Rivas were huge players in the Wolves’ defense, as they were able to get multiple steals and stops, leading to free points for the team.
  • Although the Wolves started off sloppily, the whole team pushed through on both sides of the court, communicating and nailing their shots successfully up to a 43-32 victory. 

What’s Next | After a tough matchup against San Fernando, the Wolves will take on the Kennedy Cougars on Wednesday, Jan. 24, away from home, in hopes of climbing higher in their league.

Team thoughts | “Our team played amazing against San Fernando, and it was great seeing how our team performed, despite drastically being down in our league,” captain Jonco Holgado said. “Everyone puts their best efforts on the court, and if everyone continues this throughout the season, we will be able to make the playoffs.”

Our Thoughts | The basketball team had a great game against San Fernando. Everyone contributed a lot to the game, and although there were some bad turnovers and missed open shots, they still banded together, persevered and ultimately won.

For the books

• 3 wins, 5 losses
  • Valley Mission League