Boys basketball endures third straight loss to open their season

The boys basketball team suffered a tough 52-42 loss against the Sherman Oaks Knights on Monday, Nov. 27.
THE MIRROR | MICHAEL ARREDONDO
Jeremy Rivas (#1) locks his eyes onto the hoop while shooting a free throw against the SOCES Knights.

Highlights | 

• Sophomore Christopher Gomez (#10) came roaring in hot, scoring two three pointers in the first quarter.
  • Oshan Williams (#25) and Cliff Mcgee (#22) contributed a lot for the Wolves on both sides of the court, snatching rebounds from the opponents’ missed shots and driving through the Knights’ defense, scoring multiple layups and free throw opportunities.
  • On the offensive side for the Wolves, Jeremy Rivas (#1) sank multiple threes against the Knights and was able to barrel through to the free throw line multiple times for free points towards the Wolves.
  • Captain Jonco Holgado (#2) set up plays for the Wolves, from which they were able to score from and also made multiple floaters.
  • Unfortunately, due to a lack of communication on defense and being unable to stop the Knights’ harrowing offense, this game marks the Wolves’ third loss of the season.

What’s Next | Following a third consecutive loss, the Wolves travel to the Northridge Academy Pumas’ court on Friday, Dec. 1 in hopes of ending their losing streak, then to Canoga Park High on Monday, Dec. 4.

Team Thoughts | “I think we had a decent game against SOCES, but I believe we could’ve done better,” guard Jeremy Rivas said. “For one, we could’ve boxed out more to get more rebounds because rebounding was a huge contribution to our loss. We also could’ve communicated better on defense, but besides this, we played well offensively.”

Our thoughts | The Wolves continue to put their all into improving, but unfortunately, their practice has not translated to their games’ scores. Though losing three games in a row to open their season isn’t what the team envisioned, they haven’t given up and are pushing themselves every day to see success on the court. Rather than losing hope for the rest of the season, the players see their losing streak as motivation to turn it around.

For the books | 

• 0 wins, 3 losses
  • Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies