Wolves fall to Gladiators in tough 4-set season opener

The bottom line | The girls volleyball team played their first game of the season against Marquez High School on Aug. 23, and fell short in the fourth set, losing the game 3-1.

Highlights |

• In the first set, the Wolves and Gladiators were neck and neck, but the Wolves were able to come out on top, winning the set, 25-22
  • In the second set, Van Nuys’ momentum started to impede, losing the second set, 25-16
  • In the third set, they had a rough start being down 12-0, but they started to make a comeback, getting the score one point within striking distance to 11. However, this wasn’t enough to stop the Gladiators and the team ended up falling behind, 25-16.
  • The Wolves offense started to crumble, resulting in them losing the fourth set, 25-12, and overall the game, 3-1
  • Samantha Sirichai (#13 ) and Camila Santiago (#20) had strenuous serves, getting the team multiple aces
  • Camila Santiago and Joanie Isidro (#25) had incredible digs, saving the Wolves and keeping the scores of the sets between the Gladiators closer
  • Bella Mokhtari (#3) and Cara Dechathong (#5) helped the Wolves a lot on offense, getting the team multiple points from their vicious spikes, which the other team was incapable of saving.
  • Renisha Patel (#26) was another factor in the Wolve’s offense, setting up plays and giving her teammates amazing sets

What’s Next | After the devastating loss, the Wolves are seeking their retribution, facing off next against the Panorama Pythons away from their den. This matchup will be their first league game of the season, and it will take place on Monday, Aug. 28, starting at 4 p.m.

Team thoughts | “Our game really showed us the things we need to improve on. Regardless of the loss, I thought each of us did well individually, but we just need to work on doing better as a team,” said Santiago, the Wolve’s libero.

Our thoughts | The game was a very fast-action, entertaining game to watch. Although the team came short in the end, it was clear that each of them gave it their all and persevered to the end. From their performance, I strongly believe that they have a bright season ahead of them.

For the books | 0 wins, 1 loss
Valley Mission League