Dominant and undefeated in MMA, but is he the G.O.A.T.? Students say yes

MMA Fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov standing ready to fight. (Creative Commons)

Dominant, undefeated, and greatest of all time (G.O.A.T), have been a few words that have been said in the world of professional MMA (mixed martial arts) fighting these past few weeks after the UFC Pay-Per-View Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje.

According to a recent VNHS Mirror poll, Khabib Nurmagomedov is considered to be the best MMA fighter of all time.

Nurmagomedov has a career record of 29 wins and 0 losses in the lightweight division. Being undefeated is very impressive as many fighters take losses from higher-skilled opponents.

Nurmagomedov started to practice judo and sambo (a Soviet wrestling style) at a very young age and never stopped. His life-long dedication to grappling enabled Nurmagomedov to outperform his opponents in every MMA fight he’s had.

He has faced renowned fighters in his career like Conor McGregor, Dustin Poirier, Justin Gaethje, Al Iaquinta, Edson Barboza, Michael Johnson, and Rafael dos Anjos. Nurmagomedov ran through all opposition with ease as he took them to the ground constantly and wore them out until they tapped to one of his numerous submissions.

There are other fighters who people believe to be the G.O.A.T as well.

YOUTUBE

Jon Jones is another dominant UFC fighter in the light heavyweight division. Jones has a record of 26 wins with only one controversial loss. He is the youngest fighter to win a UFC championship and tied for most championships defended.

People believe Jones is the true G.O.A.T. as he has fought tougher competition than Nurmagomedov and has had 11 more title fights, who only has four. Jones has had some stains on his reputation inside the ring. He has gotten in trouble for illegally eye-poking many of his opponents, he’s also failed drug tests on four different occasions leading to his title being stripped.

Along with stats, opinions play a big role in this debate which has made it a tough question for many.