PRO CON: History teacher Mr. David Radyuk (L) listens to a point made by student Jake Champana while the audience looks on at a debate on Sept. 13 that considered whether or not cell phones should be banned at school.  Mr. Radyuk argued against banning phones, while Champana argued for a ban.
PRO CON: History teacher Mr. David Radyuk (L) listens to a point made by student Jake Champana while the audience looks on at a debate on Sept. 13 that considered whether or not cell phones should be banned at school. Mr. Radyuk argued against banning phones, while Champana argued for a ban.
THE MIRROR | Gianmarco Razuri

Cell phone debate: Is it time to say goodbye to cell phones during school?

A history teacher and a student faced off in the big gym during lunchtime to argue about banning smart-phones at school in light of a new state law and LAUSD school board resolution.

With LAUSD’s recent decision to ban cell phones during school hours starting in January, history teacher Mr. David Radyuk and student Jake Champana argued this decision at a lunchtime debate on Friday, Sept. 13, in the big gym.

Champana argued that banning cell phones would be a good idea, while Mr. Radyuk argued against banning cell phones because of their benefits.

ANTI-BAN History teacher Mr. David Radyuk took the position that cell phones should not be banned at the Sept. 13 debate, sponsored by ASB. THE MIRROR | Gianmarco Razuri

Champana started his argument by stating that cell phones were only a source of distraction for students and that students were only prone to using their phones to text their friends, cheat during tests or play video games. 

Radyuk countered these attacks by claiming that cell phones were important for learning and vital for student safety, as they allowed parents and students to communicate and be on the same page.

The crowd was generally tame and entertained throughout the entire debate, until the end when Mr. Radyuk made a strong counterargument, asking why Champana wanted to ban cellphones when he was using notes on his phone during the entire debate. 

The audience erupted into cheers for Radyuk, making it clear who won.

READY TO RUMBLE: In favor of banning phones at school, student Jake Champana took on all of Mr. David Radyuk’s arguments at the Sept. 13 debate sponsored by ASB. THE MIRROR | Gianmarco Razuri

“You could have gotten a Chromebook, you have other resources,” senior Maggie Ambaryan said, referring to Champana being confronted about his phone usage during the debate. 

Agreeing with the common consensus, Anbaryan added, “I think Mr. Radyuk won, he made more valid points.”

ASB hopes to continue more debates throughout the year.

Do you think phones should be banned?

Should LAUSD ban cell phones?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

$1435
$5000

$1435
$5000