Hollywood Under The Stars

By Stefanie Tyo

Copy Editor

“This night will remain special in everyone’s mind and known as the night where students could be stars in Hollywood.”

FEATURE

Hollywood Under The Stars

October 13, 2017

FEATURE: Hollywood is brought to Van Nuys with our annual homecoming dance, with music, food, and memories made with friends.

Lights, camera, action!

Saturday Oct. 7 was a picture perfect night for students attending homecoming. Students traded out their game day jerseys and face paint from the homecoming game to gowns and sleeks suits the next day.

The night was already riveting before it began, as polished couples and friends lined up arm-in-arm and made their way to the entrance.

After paying for their tickets, students were given their golden wristbands and guided to the main entrance as they took their first steps through a glimmering gateway to the quad into La La Land.

Students immediately found themselves on a red carpet leading them to the main attraction, a photo ready replica of the Hollywood sign with the theme of “A Night Under The Stars”. However, one can argue, that night, the students were the stars.

Once inside, couples made their way through the quad, admiring the delicately decorated dancefloor with dreamy lights and streamers.

Crowds of friends grouped together on the dancefloor, partying and enjoying the night surrounded by the dazzling environment.

After passing through the groups of dancing couples, students could take a break from the party by the quiet flagpole where refreshments and food from a taco truck were open for the students to enjoy.

Students were quick to return to the dancefloor to not miss the main event of the night: the announcing of the Homecoming Court.

At about 10 o’clock, a loudspeaker interrupted the music and the names of the court winners were read off. The King and Queen were Emilio Godinez and Azora Derrick with the Prince Andy Sosa and Princess Isabella Sta Ana. Elected as Duke and Duchess of the sophomore class were Bryson Tindzley and Vivian Pham, respectively and the title of Lord and Lady for the incoming freshmen were given to Jesus Rios and Cassandra Lim.

The winners mounted the stage and received a standing ovation from the crowd as they were officially crowned. The elected court then returned back to the dance as the partying continued on into the night which ended around 11pm.

This was a night to be remembered by students and the ASB members who helped set up the event beforehand.

Without the work of devoted ASB members, under the direction of Ms. Jan Carr, ASB Advisor, such a night would not have been possible.

“The quad was a vision, everything went very well, the dancing was non-stop and the food was delicious, everyone was just having so much fun. It was a wonderful night under the stars and we couldn’t have done it without the hard work of our ASB members who worked so hard to make everything perfect,” Ms. Carr said.

Nights always end, but its the morning memories that we keep with us. This night will remain special in everyone’s mind and known as the night where students could be stars in Hollywood. To seniors, it was a fitting last homecoming to remember. For the rest, it was a night for them to be eager to relive next year.

Facebook

Instagram