Varsity Basketball Playoffs Game 2

By Nazaret Jarekian

The Mirror Staff

SPORTS

Foul Game: Whistle Blown 54 times as Wolves Sink Pirates 101-60

February 23, 2017

BOY’S VARSITY BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Division leader in points, Tyree Winborn scores 35 for a major victory, as team advances to semifinals for third year straight.

The Boy’s Varsity Basketball team played their second playoff game against Amino-Venice and their performance was nothing short of a beat-down as they won 101-60 on Feb. 21 at home.

With an explosive offensive output in the first quarter, the Wolves built a 26-13 lead, putting the Pirates in panic mode early on.

Like they have done all season, the Wolves continued to pour out points as they scored another 20-point quarter, extending their lead to 21 by the start of half-time.

The Wolves flattened out in the second half, putting up only 16 points and allowing themselves to be outscored 19-16 in the third quarter.

With a 69-51 lead entering the fourth quarter, the Wolves finally put the Pirates to rest by scoring an additional 32 point, defeating Amino-Venice 101-60.

Kevin Hurlic III was particularly lethal, achieving the first triple-double for the Wolves this season with 23 points, 12 rebounds, and 10 assists.

The “microwave,” (basketball lingo that means one who heats up quickly) Tyree Winborn, scored his typical—35 points along with four rebounds and three assists.

But the real story of the game was the tight officiating; in particular the usually high number of fouls. A total of 54 were called during the game.

The Wolves will head into their third straight semi-finals looking to win the division.

NEXT GAME: Wolves vs Monroe High on Friday, Feb. 24 at 8 p.m.

Facebook

Instagram