Van Nuys Beats Panorama

By Nazaret Jarekian

The Mirror Staff

SPORTS

Van Nuys Blows Out Rival Panorama

BASKETBALL: Star Guard Tyree Winborn scores 38 in 84-61 win in Varsity Basketball

With an overall record of 11-6, the Varsity Wolves Basketball team hosted long time rival, the Panorama Pythons, with an 8-6 record.

Both teams headed into Wednesday afternoon with a perfect league record, Van Nuys at 2-0 and Panorama at 3-0.

Led by Captain Ethan Quiambao, the Wolves are sitting on an impressive 4-1 home record this season.

The Wolves opened the game winning the tip, jumping to an early 29-12 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Thirteen of the 29 points were scored by starting guard, Junior Tyree Winborn, who consistently attacked the basket and got easy layups against the Pythons defense.

Winborn continued his scoring magic in the second quarter, scoring the first 5 points for the Wolves.

Senior Kevin Hurlic III created an unbelievable highlight play, pulling off the Shammgod Crossover in transition while finishing at the rim for two, ending the completely one-sided second quarter with the Wolves outscoring Panorama 19-14 to establish a 48-26 lead.

Winborn continued to dominate at the start of the second half, scoring 14 of the team’s 25 points and knocking down three deep three-pointers, as well as connecting on all five of his free throws in the quarter.

Entering the fourth and final quarter, the Wolves held a comfortable 24 point lead with Winborn sitting on 32 points.

The fourth quarter was dominated mainly by the Wolves reserves but not before Winborn sunk two more deep three-pointers.

The Wolves captured the win and maintain a perfect 3-0 league record, as well as improving to a record of 5-2 at home and 12-7 overall for the season.

Winborn was the clear star of the game, scoring 38 points while connecting on 6 three-pointers and maintaining a perfect 6-for-6 at the line.

The Wolves play on the road against the Sylmar Spartans Friday night at 7 p.m.

NEXT GAME: Wolves @ Sylmar High School on Friday, JAN. 13. at 7 p.m.