Teaching was never a job she initially thought of taking up. Growing up in Oxnard, a small town in Ventura County, Ms. Maricela Garcia attended Rio Mesa High School in the 80’s. She majored in business at Cal State University of Northridge. Her career trajectory changed, however, when she took a Spanish class. She had found her calling. In 1997, she began searching for high schools with job openings for teaching Spanish. With three job offers on the table, she made the decision to teach at Van Nuys High School and has never turned back. Currently, she teaches AP Spanish, an online Spanish Edgenuity course and a Spanish credit recovery course on campus.
1) What personality trait do you wish you had?
To be adventurous, fearless and willing to take risks.
2) If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Avocados. They contain high levels of healthy fats and are a great source of multiple vitamins.
3) In 40 years, what do you think you’ll be most nostalgic about?
Gatherings, since most gatherings are virtual now.
4) If you could shop for free at one store, what would it be and why?
Amazon. I can find anything from A-Z for free.
5) If you could time travel, what time period would you go to?
The 80’s, when our country had economic stability, and our government was focused on the rise of our country.
6) If you were immortal for one day, what would you do?
I would do all the adventurous things I never do.
7) If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
I would change the way countries deal with disagreement.