Q&A: New English Teacher Mr. Lutz

Former USC teacher, Mr. Lutz, joins the staff as the new English teacher for Performing Arts students.

Mr.+Lutz+joins+the+faculty+as+the+new+English+teacher.+

THE MIRROR | PLAPOL "PJ" RATTAPITAK

Mr. Lutz joins the faculty as the new English teacher.

1. What made you choose to teach at Van Nuys?

I’ve always felt really comfortable at traditional high schools and Van Nuys is an old school and it’s a neighborhood school and it’s also well known for its magnet programs. And all the programs, residential, have a great reputation. It’s not a mega educational complex. There are sports teams, assemblies, pep rallies, a lot of schools don’t have those things. So Van Nuys has more of the quality of being a traditional school.

2. What subject do you teach, and how long have you been teaching it? Is there another subject you would have been interested in teaching as well? 

I am a new teacher. So I used to teach at USC. I was a professor of Freshmen composition. So I did my student teaching at John Marshall in Los Feliz which is a similar vibe although Van Nuys is better. I teach English in the Performing Arts Magnet. I got my masters at USC and I taught while I was getting my masters. I would love to teach garage band. Literally having garage bands. Like having actual rock bands play. And also filmmaking.

3. What are they looking forward to in their new year at Van Nuys?

I’m looking forward to becoming a better teacher. Looking forward to making Van Nuys High feel more like my home which I’m already starting to at week 2. 

4. How has it been so far adjusting to a new school? 

It’s pretty easy because everybody’s really welcoming. The students are really nice and respectful. The staff and faculty are really supportive.

5. What was your first impression of the school?

It was the high school of Rock and Roll high school. There’s an old movie called Rock and Roll High and this was the school they filmed it in. I guess my first impression was that it felt like where I wanted to be. I wanted to be part of that legacy.

6. Was teaching your first career choice?

No, I was and still am a musician and a writer. I used to be a screenwriter, still am. Then I came to teaching.

7. What is one thing you want everyone to know about you? 

That I have a pit-lab mix named Jimbo. He’s my baby.