10 Reported Dead in Texas Mass School Shooting

Witnesses say suspect yelled “surprise!” and that a trench coat concealed the weapons
Facebook photo of Dimitrios Pagourtzis, suspect in Texas school shooting.

The deadliest mass school shooting since Parkland, Florida has killed at least 10 people, according to officials.

The suspect, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, smuggled pipe bombs and weapons into Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas, a small community between Houston and Galveston.

The victims include students, staff, and at least one  police officer, who is reportedly in critical condition.

Witnesses say that the 17-year-old, a student at the school, hid the weapons under his trench coat, shouting “ surprise” and throwing the pipe bombs into an art classroom before opening fire.

The Washington Post and the Houston Chronicle reported that Pagourtzis used a shotgun and a .38 revolver owned by his father.

According to a journal belonging to the shooter, the suspect planned to commit suicide after the attack, however, he was apprehended by authorities after the shooting had subsided.

The suspect is currently being held in Galveston County Jail awaiting prosecution. He has no prior record.

Pagourtzis posting a photo on Facebook of a Shirt with the logo “born to die,” along with another photo of a gun and knife next to a raincoat with a German Iron Cross.  

There have been nine mass school shootings so far this year along with numerous outcries for public support against gun violence.

After learning of the rampage, President Trump commented, “We grieve for the terrible loss of life and send our love and support for everyone affected by this absolutely horrific attack.”

Parkland shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez tweeted, “Santa Fe High, you didn’t deserve this. You deserve peace all your lives, not just after a tombstone saying that is put over you. You deserve more than Thoughts and Prayers, and after supporting us by walking out we will be there to support you by raising up your voices.”