A Night of Gold

ENTERTAINMENT

A Night of Gold

MOVIES: The winners of the 90th Annual Oscars Ceremony.

Lucas Shim | Entertainment Editor
March 6, 2018

© A.M.P.A.S.

The 2018 Annual Academy Award Ceremony celebrated 90 years of the cinema on Sunday, Mar. 4, at 5 PM.

The movie that won Best Picture, the biggest award of the night, was “The Shape of Water,” directed by Guillermo Del Toro. The other Best Picture nominees included “Call Me By Your Name,” “Darkest Hour,” “Dunkirk,” “Get Out,” “Lady Bird,” “Phantom Thread” and “The Post.”

“The Shape of Water” also received academy awards for Best Director, Best Original Score and Best Production Design.

The academy award for Best Actor in a Leading Role was given to Gary Oldman for his portrayal of Winston Churchill in “Darkest Hour.” The other nominees included Timothee Chalamet, Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Kaluuya and Denzel Washington. “Darkest Hour” was also awarded for Best Makeup and Hairstyling.

The academy award for Best Actress in a Leading Role was given to Frances McDormand for her performance in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.” The other nominees included Sally Hawkins, Margot Robbie, Saoirse Ronan and Meryl Streep. Sam Rockwell won the academy award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in the same film.

The academy award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role was given to Allison Janney for her performance in “I, Tonya.”

The academy award for Best Animated Feature Film was given to the Disney-Pixar film, “Coco.” The movie’s iconic song, “Remember Me,” written by Robert Lopez and Kristen-Anderson Lopez, was also awarded for Best Original Song.

“Icarus” earned the academy award for Best Documentary (Feature), and “Heaven Is A Traffic Jam on the 405” was awarded for Best Documentary (Short Subject).

“Dunkirk,” directed by Christopher Nolan, was given multiple academy awards, including Best Film Editing, Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing.

“Blade Runner: 2049,” directed by Denis Villeneuve, received academy awards for Best Visual Effects and Best Cinematography.

Costume designer Mark Bridges was awarded Best Costume Design for his work on “Phantom Thread,” directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.

The academy award for Best Foreign Language Film was given to “A Fantastic Woman,” directed by Sebastián Lelio.

“Dear Basketball,” directed by Glen Keane, received the academy award for Best Animated Short Film, and “The Silent Child,” directed by Chris Overton, won Best Live-Action Short Film.

The academy award for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) was given to “Call Me By Your Name,” written by Luca Guadagnino, James Ivory and Walter Fasano. The academy award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) was given to “Get Out,” written and directed by Jordan Peele.

Lucas Shim is currently the Entertainment Editor for The Mirror. He joined during his sophomore year and is now in his second year publication as a junior.

Other than contributing to journalism, his hobbies include binge-watching movies and TV shows, brainstorming story ideas and writing screenplays for his future career as a screenwriter. He is also a volunteer at Pet Orphans of Southern California, where he socializes and walks dogs. When it comes to politics, Lucas chooses to remain open-minded regarding political parties and their ongoing governmental debates.

FacebookInstagramTwitter