Write Offs at CSUN

NEWS

Write Offs at CSUN

LAJTA: Van Nuys Journalism competes at Cal State Northridge, testing their investigative reporting skills as well as their photography skills.

By Christian Walsh | News Writer
February 27, 2018

Fifty-one students from eight schools showcased their journalistic writing in the LAJTA (Los Angeles Journalism Teachers Association) Regional Write Offs at CSUN on Saturday, Feb. 24. The Van Nuys High School Journalism students attended and participated in the four writing categories and the photography competition.

Among the pool of winners from VNHS, Theresa Nguyen came in first place for Photography, Stefanie Tyo in second for Features Writing, and Jack Beckman-Smith in first, Margarita Hovsepyan in eighth, and Holden Mandell in tenth place for Opinion Writing.

All students who won among the top 10 at Regionals are qualified to compete in the State Write-Offs on Saturday, March 17th at Rancho Dominguez Prep High School.

Here are a few comments from the participants:

“It was a learning experience, we got to see how well we match up to other schools.” -Marc Cortes.

“It was an incredibly exciting experience. I’m so proud of how well we did and grateful to Mr. Goins for giving us this opportunity. I am really looking forward to the state competition.” -Margarita Hovsepyan

“I’m very astonished!! I view photography and the visual arts as more of a hobby and an escape from school life. Loved the experience!” -Theresa Nguyen

“It was an amazing experience the speaker we interviewed was so strong willed and passionate for his cause. I’m glad i had the opportunity to write about him.” -Stefanie Tyo

“The write off at CSUN was a very valuable experience and im looking forward to the state competition in long beach.” -Holden Mandell

“The instructors were great. It was also nice to meet other students from other schools; the competition was pretty strong. Other than that, the school had a really interesting and nice campus and environment.” -Lucas Shim

Christian Walsh is currently a news writer for The Mirror. He joined during his junior year and is in his first year of journalism.

Other than his efforts in journalism, he also enjoys playing piano and spending time with friends. He enjoys all forms of music, and loves spending lots of time on Youtube and Discord. He would like to major in computer science in the future.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter