Science Olympiad Heading to Caltech

NEWS

Science Olympiad Heading to Caltech

SCIOLY: The Van Nuys High School Science Olympiad team advances to States, placing second in regionals.

By Aliza Patel
February 21, 2018

The Van Nuys High School Science Olympiad team advances to state after ranking second place overall in the Regional Science Olympiad Competition on Feb. 17.

After a mediocre performance at Invitationals, ranking only 17th place, the SciOly team bounced back for regionals better prepared, falling behind only to San Marino High School.

Fifteen students were selected from each of the 39 schools. The competition consisted of 23 events and started from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.

The individual competitors and the teams were awarded medals, plaques, and trophies by the leaders of the Los Angeles County Regional Science Olympiad organization after the competition at 5:30 PM.

“Everyone placed in at least one event, and I think this shows how everyone put in effort to push out ream into second place overall,” said Captain Micaela Soria. “I think the reason we broke that record this year was the fact that we prepared as a team and not individuals.”

The top six teams will advance to the state competition which will take place on April 7 at the California Institute of Technology.