A Racist for President

OPINION

TRUMP: Why Donald Trump was in the wrong with his “sh–hole” comment.

By Gina Kim
January 21, 2018

“Why are we having all these people from sh-thole countries come here?”

The president of one of the most powerful countries in the world has reportedly stated that.

The President of the United States — our president — has condemned countries and yet again criticized immigrants from certain nations.

In the Oval Office, lawmakers and President Trump discussed protecting immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador, and African countries as a part of a bipartisan immigration deal. The Washington Post reported that Trump expressed his frustration through blasphemy and degrading words that were uncalled for.

Trump then suggested that the United States should instead accept more people from countries such as Norway, or other economically powerful nations.

“Why do we need more Haitians?” he said. “Take them out.”

Naturally, citizens all over America reacted with outrage, calling Trump’s comments, “racist” and “unacceptable.”

“I’m sorry, but there’s no other word one can use but racist,” UN human rights spokesman Rupert Colville said, “You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘sh-holes’ whose entire populations, who are not white, are therefore not welcome.”

Trump has denied these accusations on Twitter, but admitted that his language was “tough”. “Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country.”

Despite Trump’s denials, evidence from the past points to the truth that Trump is in fact, a racist.

In 1989, Trump urged for the death penalty to be put forth on five black and Latino teenagers accused of raping a white woman in Central Park. Although DNA evidence has exonerated the teens, Trump argued that they were guilty as late as October 2016.

In December 2015, Trump called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States”.

The list of his racist actions continues, but Trump, along with his supporters, continues to deny the brand of bigotry.

How many more examples are needed to prove to the world that this man is racist?

As the leader of the “Melting Pot” and the “Land of Opportunity”, President Trump must not portray judgemental and immature characteristics for the rest of the world to see.

Insulting and causing formidable relations between countries is not what a president should do, but instead the opposite. Future generations who look up to Trump will inevitably be influenced by his detrimental behavior and shape the future of America, along those lines.

“We expect him to be an example,” says a medical student from Central Kenya, Duncan Owor. “We are growing democracies, and we don’t expect such remarks.”

From the day America was founded, it was determined that it is not the president who judges the people, but it is the people who judge him.

Read the counter-point, Trump’s Harsh Truth

Gina Kim is currently the Business Manager for The Mirror and first joined the staff as a sophomore.

Gina focuses her articles in voicing the opinions of the students at Van Nuys High School. Along with writing Opinion articles, Gina enjoys reading various books. She has volunteered at Valley Presbyterian Hospital and LAPD Devonshire PALS. She has also participated in an Earthwatch Ignite expedition and has a great value for nature.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter