A New African-American Superhero

ENTERTAINMENT

A New African-American Superhero

REVIEW: “Black Lightning” introduces a riveting superhero story that deals with modern social issues.

By Jessica Eusebio | The Mirror Staff
February 9, 2018

Bob Mahoney | The CW

He’s back on the streets.

After four successful superhero shows, The CW Television Network introduced their first African-American masked vigilante as the lead in “Black Lightning.”

Adapted from DC Comics, the series was developed by Salim and Mara Brock Akil, known for their collaborative works on “Girlfriends,” “The Game” and “Being Mary Jane.”

The DC character made his comic book debut in “Black Lightning #1,” first published in 1977 as the comic book franchise’s first leading African American superhero.

“Black Lightning” stars Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning, Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce, China Anne McClain as Jennifer Pierce, Christine Adams as Lynn Pierce, James Remar as Peter Gambi, Damon Gupton as Inspector Henderson, and Marvin Jones III as Tobias Whale.

The show is not your typical origin story.

The story centers on high school principal Jefferson Pierce, who retired from his heroic identity as Black Lightning after nine years because his crime-fighting became too dangerous and risky for himself and his family. Jefferson claims he’s been doing “as much good, if not more good” for the Black community since he retired his superhero persona by leading his students in the right direction and keeping them safe as the principal.

When the 100 Gang—a group of hooligans overrunning the city—threatens and kidnaps his two daughters, Jefferson is forced to come out of retirement and suit up.

The show introduces an influx of African-American characters rarely seen in superhero media except for Marvel’s upcoming “Black Panther” movie which features an almost all African-American cast.

Unlike its predecessors “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl,” “Black Lightning” deals with more modern social issues.

The pilot tackles police brutality and racial discrimination. After vicious treatment by aggressive police officers, Jefferson realizes that the only reason must be because he is Black, an ongoing problem African-Americans face.

Despite “Black Lightning” being pure fiction, the masked vigilante encounters timely issues and realistic situations—like gang violence and racist cops. Even the dialogue stands apart from other superhero shows due to the show’s mature tone and storyline. Jefferson and his daughter Anissa even engage in conversations that quote famous African American activists like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Fannie Lou Hamer.

One aspect that many fans enjoy about the show is that it does not take place in the Arrowverse, a shared universe between “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl,” allowing the series to branch out in ways the other shows cannot.

The pilot refrains from the conventional superhero origin story, amusing the audience with a mystery behind Black Lightning’s beginnings.

Characters are well-cast. Cress Williams and Adams truly capture the essence of the concerned and worried parents of their two daughters. Nafessa Williams’ excellent performance expresses an activist’s sincere emotions. McClain transitions from her Disney Channel roots to a more mature role as a rebellious teen.

The action scenes as well-coordinated, with the close combat scenes presenting excellent special lightning effects, shining light on Black Lightning’s gifted abilities.

The series offers a well-pieced R&B and hip-hop soundtrack, making noteworthy scenes more dramatic.

In spite of a poorly done trailer, the first episode was a success in almost every aspect except costume and character development. Black Lightning’s superhero outfit is a flop, looking like a cheesy Halloween costume. And viewers who are unfamiliar with the comic book may be unaware of Peter Gambi’s backstory as Jefferson’s mentor/partner, which is slightly confusing.

Audiences seem to be responding positively. The pilot episode of “Black Lightning” has a Certified Fresh Tomato Score of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.2/10 on IMDb, the Internet Movie Database.

Watch “Black Lightning” every Tuesday on the CW at 9 p.m.

Jessica Eusebio is an entertainment writer for The Mirror. She joined during her junior year and is currently a junior now. This is her first year working for the publication.

Her articles are typically about movies and television shows. She enjoys watching a lot of movies, specifically Disney/Pixar and Marvel movies. She favors watching psychological based television shows. She also enjoys watching paint dry on her spare time.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter