Boy’s Basketball State

By Nazaret Jarekian

The Mirror Staff

SPORTS

Wolves Eliminated from State Championships

March 10, 2017

BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Kevin Hurlic’s 17 points is not enough to move the team past first round

Bam.

The Wolves have been knocked out of the State Basketball championships in the first round on Wednesday, March 8, on the road against the 29-4 Selma Bears who are undefeated in league games (10-0) and near perfect at home (8-1).

After being behind in most the first half, Selma High came back to beat the Wolves 61-53, and in the process, kept star guard Tyree Winborn to only 14 points.

After a defense-minded, grind-out first quarter, the Wolves establish a 10-5 lead over Selma to open the game.

Both teams picked up the offensive intensity in the second quarter, but the Wolves pulled out the quarter with a lead of 26-20.

Selma racked up points in the second half, erasing the Wolves’s lead with a 11 point lead, 45-36.

With one quarter left to comeback and regain the lead, Van Nuys was unable to put up points on Selma’s defense.

As a result, the Wolves were eliminated from the 2017 CIF State Boy’s Basketball Championship.

Tyree Winborn, Kevin Hurlic III, and Anthony Daniels all scored in the double digits; Hurlic lead the team with 17 points, four rebounds and two steals.

Daniels notched another double-double, scoring 16 points and bringing down 10 rebounds.

Basketball season is over for the Wolves, but not before making history by winning the most games in a season under Coach Evan Porter, as well as winning City for the first time since 1996.

Facebook

Instagram