Player Profile: John Galvan

By Ariana Rodriguez

The Mirror Staff

By Lauren Woolsey

The Mirror Staff

“Our team has potential to win it all this year but we just need to stay disciplined and maintain our team bonds.”

SPORTS

Captain Hitter: John Galvan

PHOTO BY SHIMLA RAHMAN
 MIRROR STAFF

February 19, 2017

SPORTS: Meet Boy’s Varsity Volleyball captain John Galvan who is about to enter this year’s season.

John Galvan first joined the Boy’s Junior Varsity Volleyball team as a freshman.

Throughout tenth and eleventh grade, John played as a middle blocker/hitter. This year, as Varsity Captain, he started as an outside hitter.

Standing at 5’11’’, Galvan’s lanky arms combined with his 34-inch vertical jump distance makes him one of the most successful middle blockers and outside hitters on the team.

His greatest weakness is passing, but his greatest asset is placement of the ball.

Although many student athletes struggle to balance academics and sports, Galvan claims that great time management skills are the major key to his success.

Being a varsity player on any team inflicts a tremendous amount of pressure.

“It is a lot of pressure because of the high expectations coming from my teammates and coach,” Galvan said.

Before any nerve-wracking match, Galvan’s secret to calming his own is to isolate himself from the others, listen to music, and properly warm-up.

This season, the team expects to perform with laser-sharp focus. Galvan and his teammates look forward to going deep into playoffs and fighting for the Division 1 Championship.

“Our advantage this season is our size, but our disadvantage is our lack of experience.”

As a captain, Galvan’s plan is to bring the team closer together, promote team chemistry, and develop great communication skills with them. He believes that communication is also the concept that they need to work on the most.

Galvan would love to play college volleyball but he tells us that he believes that his chances are highly unlikely, although the team disagrees.

“My favorite part of the season is the competition,” said Galvan.“Our team has potential to win it all this year but we just need to stay disciplined and maintain our team bonds.”

There are many additions to the team who lack experience, but Galvan confidently declares that they are ready to learn. Van Nuys’ toughest adversary in the league this season will be the Sylmar Spartans.

“As a senior, I want to give it my all,” he said.

Facebook

Instagram