Basketball Playoff Game #1

By Nazaret Jarekian

The Mirror Staff

By Brian Clavio

Sports Editor

SPORTS

Van Nuys Dominates in Their First Playoff Game

February 16, 2017

BOY’S VARSITY BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Lead Scorer Tyree Winborn scores 31 in a punishing defeat of Wilson High.

The playoffs are upon us, and the Boy’s Varsity Wolves continued their league domination in the first playoff game on Feb. 15, a home game in which Wilson High School fell prey 84-48.

The Wolves opened up the game hot, scoring 19 points in the first quarter. They only allowed Wilson to score 9 points in the entire opening period.

The onslaught did not stop in the second quarter, as the scorching hot Wolves kept on pounding Wilson High in order to score 17 points.

Entering the second half with a 36-17 lead, the Wolves looked to ice the game away from the Mules.

Coming out “guns a blazing” in the second half, the Wolves poured out 28 points in the quarter, and, even with a slight slip on the defensive end, Van Nuys was able to extend the lead to 64-36.

It would have taken a miracle for the Mules to come back into the game, but Van Nuys was not about to let that happen.

Being on the verge of winning the first playoff game of the season, the Wolves kept their foot on the gas and accelerated to a 84-48 win.

An all around team effort led to the win. Behind a phenomenal 31-point performance by Tyree Winborn, along with 14 points and six assists from Kevin Hurlic III and a near “double-double” from Anthony Daniels, the Wolves captured their first playoff win of the year, starting what could be one of the best basketball seasons the school has ever had.

NEXT GAME: Wolves vs Amino Venice High on Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 7 p.m.

PHOTO BY
CHRISTIAN NAVES MIRROR STAFF

Facebook

Instagram