Youth Politics

By Khrista Sayo

The Mirror Staff

FEATURE

Diving into Politics

A new time calls for change.

Many millennials, feeling powerless to express their potential, are seeking to change the current political structure.

There could be a way to bring about change.

The Campaign for a Presidential Youth Council (CPYC) is an organization that was created by high school and college students to advocate for the creation of the Presidential Youth Council (PYC).

If the CPYC is successful, the PYC will be a Federal Advisory Committee created under the Executive Order of the President of the United States. This would establish a bipartisan, privately-funded, and diverse council capable of broadening the perspective of our legislative representation.

In order to successfully bring to affect an Executive Order, the CPYC has continued to gain support using grassroots outreach to obtain co-sponsorships from federal Representatives and Senators for their House and Senate Resolutions, which support the creation of a Presidential Youth Council.

The PYC hopes that having an advisory group to the federal government will remedy what many feel to be today’s inefficient and ineffective policy outcomes. But most importantly, it may encourage more young people to be active in political issues.

In general, both the Democratic and Republican parties have sought to recruit more youths to become active citizens in politics. It is widely believed that the younger generation of voters will greatly impact the 2016 election.

Secretary Hillary Clinton proposes potential policies of new jobs, free tuition for working families, and a debt-free future in order to appeal to Millennials. Donald Trump, on the other hand, has a low popularity rate amongst young adults. This could potentially account for the outcome of the presidency if young people vote in sufficient numbers.

Political representation is also important to give voice to the grievances and perspectives of different minority and social groups, including the LGBTQ+ and minority community members who belong to the organization.

One major goal of creating the organization is to share issues that relevant to young people with government officials, including the President of the United States and members of Congress.

Organizers hope the Council will make recommendations about federal issues and develop solutions for pressing matters such as global warming and terrorism, to give youth a bigger voice for change.

As envisioned, the Council will work together with older generations to tackle the issues impeding our government.

A resolution proposed to the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate seeks to establish the Presidential Youth Council.

If this resolution passes, American millennials may yet get a bigger voice in American politics.