Wolves Beat Panorama

by Nazaret Jarekian

The Mirror Staff

Oct.28 Home

Van Nuys vs. San Fernando
 JV: 4 p.m. | Varsity: 7 p.m.

SPORTS

Van Nuys Comeback with a Win at Homecoming

FOOTBALL: A Homecoming Game losing streak ends with an impressive victory over rival Panorama

After a devastating 47-46 road loss to the View Park Vikings the previous week, the Van Nuys Wolves Varsity and JV football teams defeated Panorama, playing in front of a crowd full of Homecoming spirit.

The Wolves played their 102nd Homecoming game and their 3rd home game of the 2016 season.

Varsity won 33-13, while JV won in a blowout.

PHOTO BY
ARIANA RODRIGUEZ

DUST UP:
The Varsity Wolves defeat Panorama 33-13.

With an anxious home crowd in the stands, the Junior Varsity team started after a week off. They didn’t play against View Park.

The Junior Varsity team has struggled, being shut out at Kennedy in the last scrimmage 42-0, but the tide turned Friday night, with JV blowing out the Pythons 41-14.

After a strong performance by the JV team and the annual Homecoming parade, the Varsity team switched in.

The game would mark the return for Senior Quarterback, George Garcia after missing action against View Park and most of the Kennedy game due to an ankle injury.

The Varsity team has been cursed the past two years at Homecoming, losing the school’s last two Homecoming games, including their Centennial game.

The curse seemed to continue with the Wolves falling behind 7-0 after a rushing touchdown from the Pythons in the first quarter.

The Wolves offense headed out to the field for the first time of the night and after two good runs that were marked for first downs, the Wolves gained multiple penalties and eventually turned over the football after failing a fourth down conversion.

The first quarter ended with Panorama having a 7-0 lead and the ball for the start of the second quarter.

The Wolves defense continued to struggle, giving up another touchdown to Panorama, but forced the Pythons to miss on their extra point conversion, extending the Pythons lead 13-0.

At this point, the Wolves’ offense start to click, using their strong running game to move the chains and gain first downs. Senior Running Back Eric Castro ran in for the Wolves first touchdown of the night, closing the gap 13-7.

After a good stop by the Wolves defense, the offense got the ball back and continued to abuse their strong run. Eric Castro scored his second touchdown of the night to give the Wolves a 14-13 lead at the end of the half.

Heading into the second half, the Van Nuys offense continued to dominate the game through running, scoring another touchdown, this time from Garcia.

The Wolves defense excelled, keeping the Pythons scoreless for the remainder of the game.

The offense scored another two touchdowns, extending their lead to 33-13, ending their four game losing streak and their two game Homecoming losing streak.

The Wolves improved their record to 3-5 on the season and will stay home next week for Senior Night against Division 1 San Fernando High.

NEXT GAME: Wolves vs. San Fernando High School on Friday, Oct. 28. JV at 4 p.m. and Varsity at 7 p.m.

PHOTO BY
ARIANA RODRIGUEZ

CRIMSON CRUSH:
Van Nuys wins the first Homecoming game in three seasons.