Homeroom Reps Meet

By Ezra Kim

The Mirror Staff

“We try to get the Van Nuys student body’s opinion on as many things as possible moving on to create a nurturing environment for everyone.”

CAMPUS NEWS

Homeroom Representatives Hold First Meeting

Associated Student Body (ASB) held their first homeroom representative meeting on Friday, September 30.

The meeting is a gathering of student representatives from every homeroom to discuss Van Nuys High School’s past events as well as future ideas. They are allowed to express their dislikes, likes, and wishes to change any conditions at Van Nuys.

“We try to get the Van Nuys student body’s opinion on as many things as possible moving on to create a nurturing environment for everyone,” stated ASB President Ahmad Daaboul.

PHOTO BY
EZRA KIM MIRROR STAFF

HOMEROOM REPS:
Topics discussed included recycling, bathrooms, and adding an advisory period.

At the meeting, the issue of recycling was brought up. Students claimed that every class should have a separate bin for different recyclable materials.

Another issue many students brought up was the bathroom problems at Van Nuys High School.

Students said that bathrooms seemed to never be available and always had some sort of problem. For example, a door in the bathroom in the girl’s P.E. locker was apparently “ripped off.”

Many complaints were also made about the cleanliness of bathrooms.

Another topic that students brought up was the apparent need of an advisory period. Mrs. Carr responded by saying that this issue was already dealt with. However, she said that this problem can be revisited by talking with Mr. Crosby, who is in charge of the school’s schedule.

A major issue President Daaboul mentioned was about attendance. He said, “A system must be created that can improve student’s attendance rates.” Some representatives suggested that the school should hold a competition, and the students that have the highest attendance rates should be awarded.

For the rest of the school year, every homeroom representative meeting will be held on the last Friday of every month.