Girl’s Volleyball Loses to Kennedy

by Antonio Ibarrola

The Mirror Staff

“We have the physical ability to win, but I feel that if we change the way we think on court, then we could improve tenfold,” said Varsity Defensive Specialist Justine Yap.

SPORTS

Cougars pounce on Lady Wolves

GIRL’S VOLLEYBALL: Rival Kennedy shuts out Varsity 3-0 while JV manages to win a match but stumbles 2-1

Once again, the Van Nuys Girl’s Volleyball teams lose, this time to the Kennedy Cougars on Monday, September 19.

The Junior Varsity team managed to win a single game, losing 2-1, but the Varsity team struggled to win a single set, ending the match 0-3.

The JV team struggled to score and defend throughout the first set. The Cougars were able to take the set 25-9 with a 16-point lead on Van Nuys.

The JV Girls responded to Kennedy first victory by maintaining a lead throughout the second set and eventually winning with a 10-point lead over Kennedy, 25-15.

Van Nuys was able to maintain a steady lead in the last set, with Kennedy just a point behind until halfway through the set. Kennedy evened the score and turned the game around to gain the lead after the half, winning 15-11.

The Varsity team, on the other hand, started the first set with a steady one-point lead throughout the first half of the match. However, the Varsity Girls struggled to maintain the lead after the half, giving Kennedy the momentum they needed to take the lead. Kennedy prevailed in the first set, 25-21.

The second set started out rough as Kennedy led by four points. The Varsity Girls struggled throughout the set and ultimately lost 25-18.

The last set also proved difficult, and the Cougars stayed ahead of Van Nuys, dominating the match winning 25-17.

“I know for one that my team and I have a lot potential, but the one thing we tend to do is freeze up and over-think every single little thing,” said Varsity Defensive Specialist Justine Yap.

“We have the physical ability to win, but I feel that if we change the way we think on court, then we could improve tenfold.”

The Wolves face the Reseda Regents at home on Wednesday, September 21.

NEXT GAME: (HOME) Wolves at Reseda High School on Wednesday, September 21 at 4 p.m.