Girls Volleyball Team Triumphantly Brings Home A Winning Lead Record

After a rocky start to the season, the VNHS Girl’s Volleyball Team defies all odds and finishes the season with incredible accomplishments.

P

Captain Aileen Flores gets ready to bump the ball from the opposing team.

By Dhamara Gomez, Staff Writer

Captain Aileen Flores described the beginning of the girls volleyball season as “pretty shaky.”

Although the team got off to a rocky start, they were able to pick up the pace and finish with a league record of 7-5, while also making it to the semifinals in the playoffs.

“Coming into the new season, I already knew it was going to be a rebuild season, which was going to be a different experience,” Flores said.  

The girls were able to finish the season, but not without hardships. They started off with a loss against San Fernando but bounced back with a win against Panorama. 

Players Catalina Rodriquez and Mariah Martinez both agree that Kennedy High School was their toughest competition. “As a team, they were able to push back just as hard as we were pushing throughout each of our games against them and they always managed to create a challenging game setting at a quick pace.” Rodriquez stated.

The team lost both of their matchups against Kennedy, which finished at the top of the league with a 10-1 record.

In addition to their league games, the girls also participated in tournaments so they could stay in shape and be prepared for any challenges thrown at them this season. At the peak  point of the season, the girls went on a three-game winning streak, getting their revenge against San Fernando.

As a team, Martinez believes the girls met their goals and expectations as well as meeting her own personal goals. “I wish that I had contributed more in terms of playing and in terms of spirit and positivity,” she said. “Overall though it was a fulfilling season and I’m happy with the way things went.”

The girls took home a win against Phineas Banning Senior High School for their first playoff match. It was an intense battle that ended in bad blood. Some players took to Twitter to insult the opposing team after the 3-1 victory. 

They advanced to the next round against Venice High School, but were handily eliminated in a shutout, ending their championship quest.